Life can cost more when you are a family raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person. You may have higher bills to pay each month. You might need to make additional purchases for items like specialist play equipment. Perhaps you have more essentials to cover too, like transport costs, specialist food or clothing.

For families raising a disabled child or young person, there is funding and financial support available. Your child could be eligible for grants and additional disability benefits or entitlements.

Explore our ‘Get help with money matters’ webpage and take a look at the resources available.

You can find out more about other useful organisations that support financial health, try out some money saving tools and access our own free online courses too.

Find support to help manage your money


  • GOV.UK is the website for the UK Government. This is the best place to find out about government services and important information that may affect you and your family. 

    Finances online

    • The internet is a great tool that can help you manage your money and improve your financial health. Finances online is a free service run by Family Fund that helps you to look after your finances and save money by using free tools and websites on the internet.  

    • Go to our finances online webpage to find free e-learning courses on how to save money. You can complete all the courses at a time to suit you, or you can watch our helpful step-by-step videos. 

    You can go straight into the e-learning courses without needing to sign up below: 

    finances online


    • MoneyHelper exists to make your money and pension choices clearer. They exist to put you in control of your money. MoneyHelper is backed by the government and the service is free for you to use.

    • MoneyHelper helps people to clear their debts, reduce their spending and make the most of their income.

    • MoneyHelper can also support you with how plan for major purchases and find out about benefit entitlements. They can also help you to build up your savings and pensions, and learn about all the available options.

    Finding information and support with your benefit entitlement 

    Sometimes the type of benefits you can apply for depend on which nation you live in. If you live in Scotland, Social Security Scotland deliver some additional payments you may be entitled to apply for, such as the Best Start Payments or the Child Winter Heating Assistance.  Find out more on the website


    • Turn2us are a national charity that help people in financial hardship get access to benefits, charitable grants and support services.

    • Turn2us provide free online resources to help better your financial situation. You can also find easy to use online tools, including a benefits calculator and a grants search.

    • You can use the benefit calculator to find out if you are entitled to additional benefits that you are not currently receiving, such as Carer’s Allowance. You can also check to see if you are receiving the right amount of benefits for the entitlements you are already receiving.

    benefits calculator

    Citizens Advice

    • Citizens Advice are a network of charities that provide free confidential advice online, over the phone and in person.

    • To get help in person, use the Citizens Advice website to find your local Citizens Advice team. Some local Citizens Advice can only give you advice if you live in the local council area. 


    • Contact are the support charity for families with disabled children.

    • Contact help parents and carers feel confident and informed about the challenges of raising a disabled child. They give guidance and advice on topics from education to health and social care services. Contact also provide advice and guidance about the additional benefits and financial support that your family could be eligible for.
    • Contact run a free listening ear helpline. The service offers 1-1 telephone appointments with a family support adviser for parents or carers who are looking for a listening ear, reassurance and practical and emotional support.

    Finding information and support with debt

    StepChange Debt Charity


    • StepChange Debt Charity is the UK’s leading debt advice charity. They help hundreds of thousands of people each year deal with their money worries with free, impartial and non-judgmental advice.

    • Whether you need debt advice, a way to get your finances back on track after coronavirus, support with budgeting, or managing persistent debt, StepChange can help.

    • StepChange can provide debt information online or you can contact the team for help over the phone on: 0800 138 1111.

    • You can go online access the StepChange online debt advice service at a time that suits you. The tool takes around 20 minutes to complete and you can get expert, personalised and confidential debt advice. They will recommend the best course of action for your circumstances, and help you start to take control of your finances.


    Finding other grants you can apply for 

    Family Fund provide grants to families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. There are other charities and grant providers similar to Family Fund, who can also provide grants to families who need them.


    • You can use the Turn2us grant search tool to find local and national grants that you may be eligible to apply for, just like Family Fund. All you need to do is provide some basic details and Turn2us will provide a list of grants for items you may need. The grant search is anonymous. 

    • You can find out more about applying for charitable grants on the Family Fund 'Finding grants online' e-learning course. 

    finding grants online

    Reuse Network

    • The Reuse Network support the work of reuse charities across the UK. They aim to help alleviate poverty by providing essential items to families in need.

    Trussell Trust

    • Trussell Trust are a charity who have 1,200 food banks across the UK. They provide emotional and practical support around accessing food.

    Apply for a grant from Family Fund

      Apply Now help for 18 to 24 year olds