Family Fund Mobility Support
If you have a disabled or seriously ill child under three, and would benefit from access to a car, the Family Fund Mobility Support programme could help.
About the grant programme
The Family Fund Mobility Support programme is aimed at families raising a disabled or seriously ill child under three years old with significant mobility needs.
Through the programme, we can provide a car-leasing package for a limited period to make transport for your child easier and more practical, so you can take your child to medical appointments, or even just get around day-to-day. If eligible for the programme, Family Fund will cover the costs of the monthly rental instalments for the duration of the lease vehicle.
The Family Fund Mobility Support programme covers the period between birth and the age of three (which is when the national Motability scheme kicks in). If your child continues to have mobility needs, from the age of two years and nine months, you can apply for the high rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance and consider lease car options through the national Motability scheme.
Who can apply?
You can apply for this programme if:
- You have applied and were eligible for a wider Family Fund grant
- You are on a low-income
- Your child is under three years of age
- You are the parent or carer and you (or someone significantly involved in your child’s care) have a full valid UK driving licence
- Nobody else in the household is already leasing a vehicle through the Motability scheme
Your child’s condition means that they:
- cannot travel without substantial equipment such as a mobility aid, oxygen or monitoring equipment, or
- cannot travel on public transport because it would compromise their immunity, or
- experience high levels of pain or a physical condition that makes mobility difficult, or
- have to attend a significant number of medical appointments at multiple treatment centres, or
- have an unstable condition and may need unexpected emergency inpatient treatment.
How does it work?
What does the programme cover?
- Rental instalments for the duration of hire
- Car insurance
- Repairs and maintenance
- Breakdown cover
What is not covered?
- Fuel costs
- Parking fines
- Zone/congestion charges (blue badge exemption)
- Costs incurred by returning the car in unsatisfactory condition
- Any other costs incurred that are in violation of agreements as set out in the handbook (issued by Motability)
How to apply
Firstly, please complete an initial enquiry form using the button below. Then, our team will contact you if you are eligible, to complete the next stage of the application.Complete the Family Fund Mobility Support initial enquiry form
More information for families
If we have declined your application to Family Fund Mobility Support, and if your circumstances have significantly changed, you can make a new application. Typically, this would be three months or more after the first decline. You would still need to meet the eligibility criteria as specified above. To reapply, please make a new application and mention that you are reapplying after a decline.
If you have any queries and would like to speak to our friendly team, please email: [email protected]
Family Fund is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in respect of our introductions to Motability Operations. If you wish to make a complaint about any element of the programme and the way Family Fund handles it, you should write to:
Unit 4 Alpha Court
Monks Cross Drive
York, YO32 9WN
If the complaint relates to the introduction to Motability Operations, Family Fund has eight weeks to investigate, and respond to your complaint. Should you remain dissatisfied with our response you can then refer your complaint to:
Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange
London, E14 9SR
Tel: 0800 023 4567
You can complete an online complaint form or find out more on the financial ombudsman website. If your complaint relates to another element of the programme, it will be directed to the relevant party.
Other details about this programme
The operation of this programme is subject to Financial Conduct Authority regulation. Family Fund Trust is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under reference number 912508.
If you are a professional organisation and want to promote the Family Fund Mobility Support programme, please contact [email protected]. Promoting the programme without speaking to us first may mean you will be in breach of FCA regulation.
Family Fund gratefully acknowledges the support of The Motability Foundation for the funding of this programme.