Whilst out and about at events recently, a number of parents have told us they didn’t know about carer’s assessments, or have been told they cannot ask for one.

What is a carer’s assessment?

Carer’s UK describes a carer’s assessment as “an opportunity to discuss with the local council what support or services you need. The assessment will look at how caring affects your life, including for example, physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.”

As a carer of a disabled child you are entitled to ask for an assessment of your needs at any time. So, if your needs have recently changed, you can ask for a new assessment, in the same way as asking for an assessment for your child.

Remember – any carer who might need extra support should have an assessment.

When the assessment is carried out by social services they will ask about different parts of your life and how they affect you caring for your child. This will include how caring affects:

  • your ability to work or study
  • your opportunities for social and leisure time
  • your health and relationships
  • housing issues.

After the assessment is complete, it might find that you need services to support you in your caring role. Also, if you have children who are helping provide some level of care, they could have an assessment of their needs as a young carer.

Information for carers can differ across the UK:

Find out more about carers assessments in England

Find out more about carers assessments in Wales

Find out more about carers assessments in Northern Ireland

Find out more about carers assessments in Scotland

To request an assessment you will need to contact the adult services department of your local authority.