Education can look very different for everyone, and especially for children and young people who have special educational needs.

We know that there are lots of resources available to support children and young people who have special educational needs or who require extra support with their learning. (Also known as SEN or ASN).  

Take a look at some of the organisations who can support your child’s learning needs, and find out about some of our additional services too.

Help with specialist learning and early year’s education

Council for disabled children

  • Council for disabled children provide support for parents, professionals and local authorities. They aim to increase support for disabled children in the UK. 

  • The Council for Disabled Children know that being a parent or carer to a disabled child or a child with special educational needs can become a stressful experience when you cannot find the information, advice or support that you need.

  • You can go online to find advice and resources on topics ranging from your child’s disability rights to understanding Educational Health and Care Plans (known as an EHCP).

Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (known as IPSEA)

  • Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) offer free and independent legally based information and advice. They help to get the right education for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities for families in England.

  • They also have a free advice line that you can call with any questions you have around your child’s education rights. 


  • Contract are the support charity for families with disabled children. They help parents and carers to feel confident about the challenges of raising a disabled child by providing advice on topics from benefits to health and social care services.

  • Contact run a free listening ear. The service offers one to one telephone appointments with a family support adviser for parent carers looking for a listening ear, reassurance and practical and emotional support.

UK Wide Support

There are different types of support you can access locally around the UK. This could be local support from your parent carer forum, or help from local government and local councils.


What is your local offer?

It is the law for every local authority in England to publish all the services that are available to children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities in one place. The local offer is a local provision, meaning you can find everything from local specialist playgroups to information about local transport services.

The Local Offer can be found on your local authority website:


The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Services (known as SENDIASS) offer local information, advice and support for parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

  • The service is free, impartial and confidential and local to your area.


Services in Scotland for children with additional support needs (ASN) are called Additional Support for Learning.


  • Enquire are the advice service for additional support learning in Scotland. They support families and schools, working together to ensure children get what they need. Enquire also work directly with children and young people in school who may be struggling in education.

  • Enquire provide resources and advice for parents can help you feel informed about your child’s rights to additional support, offer advice on how to work with your school to get the right support in place and explain options for resolving education disagreements.

  • The Enquire helpline (0345 123 2303) is available to provide additional support for learning to families over the phone.

Northern Ireland

The Special Educational Needs Advice Centre (known as SENAC)

  • The Special Educational Needs Advice Centre (SENAC) provide advice on the Northern Ireland special educational needs system.

  • They give information and advice on getting help and support in school for children with learning difficulties and special educational needs.

  • For advice about a child’s education in Northern Ireland, you can also contact the SENACS advice line on 028 9079 5779.


In Wales during September 2021, a new system of support for children with additional learning needs (ALN) was launched. The ALN framework replaced the existing special educational needs (SEN) system.

SNAP Cymru

  • SNAP Cymru provide information, advice and support for parents, children and young people who have, or may have, special educational needs or disabilities.

  • They provide impartial and free services through their helpline (0808 801 0608) and local education specialist advocacy. Here you can also make an Early Help referral. 

Digital support and iPad training

ipad and tablet training

Looking for help with your iPad or digital device?

Family Fund can provide you and your child free help to get the most out of your device through our iPad training and digital support.

What is iPad training?

Our iPad training is a chance for you to learn more about your device. As a part of our free iPad training sessions, you can find out how to:

You can find out more about how to sign up for a group workshop on our events page Family Fund Digital Skills sessions.