You can apply for a Family Fund grant if you are the parent or carer of a disabled, or seriously ill, child or young person, and you meet our eligibility criteria.
We’re making some important technical enhancements to our application and grant-making systems. As a result, families living in England won’t be able to submit a new application until Monday 2 October, 10am.
Due to the high number of families in Wales coming to us for support over the last few months, we have no further funding available, and are not currently able to accept any more applications from families living in Wales. We’re sorry this news is disappointing, and we’re actively looking to source further funding. Read more here.
Before you apply
Please follow these four steps before you make your application to help us to process your grant more quickly.
1. Our grants are for low-income families raising a disabled or severely ill child or young person. Please check you are eligible before you apply.
2. Do check when you can next apply if you have applied to Family Fund before. If you live in England, Northern Ireland or Wales, this will be 24 months from the date you last applied. If you live in Scotland you can apply 18 months from the date you last applied.
3. Gather your supporting documents. We will need to see:
- your most recent letter of benefit entitlement containing the name and address of the main carer applying for the grant. The name and address on the letter must be the same as the name and address on your application.
- a document showing the full legal name of the child/children you are applying for.
- any documents that evidence your child’s condition, such as a recent medical report, or a copy of your child’s Education, Health and Care Plan, if you have one.
4. If you are applying online, please register on our family portal first. (You don’t have to do this if you have re-registered after 30 September 2022).Register for an account on our family portal
All prepared and ready to go?Apply now
What to do if you can’t apply online
Please note that if you live in England, we will be pausing new applications between Monday 4 September and Monday 2 October. During those dates, we will not be sending out paper application packs in the post. Find out more about this.
Applying online through our family portal is the quickest and easiest way to make an application. Online applications also take less time to process, so you may receive your grant decision more quickly.
If you are not able to apply online, you can download an application pack. You’ll need to print it and post the completed form and supporting documents back to us. If you are submitting an application for more than one child, you’ll also need to complete the additional child form (one per sibling you wish to include in your application).
If you are unable to print the form at home, you can request for an application pack to be posted to you. You should receive this within 10 working days. It costs Family Fund £1 for every pack that is printed and posted, so please check your eligibility carefully before you request one.