Who we help

We help families across the UK who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under.You can apply to the Family Fund if:

  • You live in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
  • You are the parent or carer of a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under.
  • You have evidence of your entitlement to one the following: Universal Credit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit*, Employment Support Allowance*, Housing Benefit and Pension Credit. If you do not receive any of the above, further information may be needed to complete your application.  Please only send photocopies of this information as we cannot return it to you.
  • You have permanent legal residency in the UK and have lived in the UK for six months.

*We may need to contact you for further information about your household income.Help from the Family Fund is discretionary and subject to available funding. The Fund also retains discretion to decline an application where a family has a significant level of capital or household income.We are unable to help children and young people in local authority care, including those living with foster carers.Where a statutory agency has a responsibility to pay for the item needed, the Fund cannot help.Due to limited funding, we are unable to help all disabled children. We use our own disability criteria when establishing eligibility.Read more »